Re: Summary: dpkg shared / reference counted files and version match

Guillem Jover wrote:
> Descriptions are only downloaded once nowadays.

Not actually true; apt-get update downloads all package descriptions
without even pdiffs nowadays, every time there's a change to any
single description.

Get:22 http://ftp.nl.debian.org unstable/main Translation-en [3,882 kB]

>   /usr/share/doc/pkgname/
>   /usr/share/bug/pkgname
>   /usr/share/lintian/overrides/pkgname
>   /usr/share/mime-info/pkgname.*
>   /usr/share/menu/pkgname
>
> (Joey, I'm guessing you might consider it too late to do some of these in
> debhelper for compat level 9, right?)

I wouldn't worry about this, there's still time to make whatever changes
might be needed in v10. It's not actually clear this would be a change
that needs a compat level at all.

More worrying is how to make apt-listchanges and everything else use
these locations in time.

--
see shy jo