Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 10:22:17AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> After all, this is how cross/foreign architecture packages have
> *always* been handled in Debian via dpkg-cross. Nothing in /usr/share/
> matters for a cross package created by dpkg-cross (with the possible
> exception of /usr/share/pkg-config which was always anachronistic). Some
> template files are added but the package name includes the
> architecture, so these files are effectively in multiarch paths.

> There is nothing useful in /usr/share of a Multiarch: same package
> when installed as foreign architecture package. Emdebian & dpkg-cross
> have proved that by having nothing else until Multi-Arch. Anything you
> might need is in the native architecture package, so the best thing to
> do is widen the implicit exclusion to all of /usr/share in the incoming
> Multi-Arch: same package.

The unfounded assumption here is that you will always install a foreign-arch
M-A: same package together with the native-arch version.  If I install
libaudio2:i386 because I want to play a game that's only available as a
32-bit binary and has this lib as a dependency, and nothing else on my
system uses libaudio2, I still expect to get /usr/share/libaudio2/AuErrorDB
installed.

In general, anything that introduces assymetric handling between native and
foreign arch packages at the dpkg level is probably going to be a bad idea.