Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

> Maybe the way to solve this properly is to remove compression from the
> uniqueness check - compare the contents of the file in memory after
> decompression. Yes, it will take longer but it is only needed when the
> md5sum (which already exists) doesn't match.

Another possible solution is to just give any package an implicit Replaces
(possibly constrained to /usr/share/doc) on any other package with the
same name and version and a different architecture.  This isn't as
defensive, in that it doesn't catch legitimate bugs where someone has made
a mistake and the packages contain different contents, but it also solves
the binNMU issue (well, "solves"; the changelog will randomly swap back
and forth between the packages, but I'm having a hard time being convinced
this is a huge problem).