Re: Clarifying the mandatory contents of the Debian copyright file.

On 12-01-18 at 08:31pm, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 04:03:14PM +0800, Chow Loong Jin a écrit :
> > On 18/01/2012 10:09, Peter Miller wrote:
> > > Are there any plans to write a tool to scan a project tree and generate
> > > the DEP-5 debian/copyright file?
> >
> > I personally use:
> > $ licensecheck --copyright -r . | /usr/lib/cdbs/licensecheck2dep5 > debian/copyright
> >
> > And then manually modify debian/copyright to compress entries to
> > satisfaction.
>
> Dear Peter and Chow,
>
> In my experience, licensecheck has false positives and false
> negatives.  Please be sure to validate its results with an independant
> method.

Good point.

That's also the reason licensecheck2dep5 adds a FIXME to each and every
section of its output: Not to be trusted as-is - requires proofreading!

> The licensecheck to DEP 5 converter may also be even more useful if it
> could be implemented as a lintian check, that would for instance
> verify that no new license is missed when upgrading a package.
> Sometimes, non-free files try to sneak in…

Would be nice indeed.

Currently, licensecheck2dep5 when used with cdbs does something similar:
warns during build (not independently as lintian does) if an included
auto-generated file lacks entries from a freshly autogenerated one.

Yes, I really should do as promised in bug#472199 and integrate
licensecheck2dep5 with licensecheck itself to have more parts of its
functionality available independent from CDBS.

 - Jonas