Re: zram Usage as Default in Debian (?)

Hi Cesare,

sorry for the slow response, comments embedded.

Am Monday 09 January 2012 schrieb Cesare Leonardi:
> On 07/01/2012 18:48, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > I recently setup zram (for compressed swap space in RAM) on an older low
> > RAM machine. I was quite happy with the result and started now to do the
> > same setup also on my other machines. I am wondering if anybody is
> > investigating, if debian should do that by default when installing a new
> > machine or even better also when machines get upgraded.
>
> Hi Rainer.
>
> What do you mean saying that you are happy with the result? In what
> aspects?

see below...

> I ask you because while i'm skeptical too in wasting ram for swap, i
> think i'll give zram a try to see the effects on responsiveness of
> dormant application.
>
> Let me explain.
> There is something that i find annoying in the default kernel setup and
> is its tendency to swap out to disk even when there are plenty free ram.
> So if you have an open application that you leave dormant while doing
> other things (that app could be also the Gnome menu, for example), when
> you'll need that you'll find a strange lag and unusual disk work. The
> system is swapping even if the ram is about 50% free!
>
> So, in the past, i've modified the kernel setting with vm.swappiness=0
> (from the default=60).
> Now it's better but not sufficient to avoid swap: for example today,
> with an uptime of about 8 hours without suspend to ram or to disk, i
> have 47 MB of used swap. And i see its effect as lag when i want to
> restore from the screen saver or when i use the applet to change display
> brightness, and so on.
>
> I'm almost sure that there is some other parameter that i could change
> to avoid that preventive swap. In the past i've done some searches but i
> found that was not so easy, as some other related parameters had to be
> used with care. So i gave up.
> And i also know it's a debated area, where different points of view
> apply: IIRC Andrew Morton is one that is for vm.swappiness=100, to
> minimize wasting ram from least used applications, that are moved to the
> swap quite fastly. Probably if you have a super fast SSD the swap is not
> so perceptible.
>
> So, returning to zram, maybe have you seen good result from a
> responsiveness point of view?

On one system, that is exactly, that is what I observe. Before disk swap was
always used, now I have never seen that disk swap is ever used in this system:

I posted this before:

blackbox:~# swapon -s
Filename                                Type            Size    Used
Priority
/dev/sdd                                partition       3910652 0       -1
/dev/zram0                              partition       2070080 6360    100
/dev/zram1                              partition       2070080 6388    100
blackbox:~#

And certainly accessing zram is faster than accessing swap hdd. I do not see
delays due to swap access anymore on my desktop.....this was in particular
visible, since I migrated to an SSD on that system (and left swap on a
frequently spin down hdd).

The other system is a low end system with 512 MB RAM and it is running KDE4.
With zram the system is much more responsive than just with HDD swap space.

> In fact the point that i find interesting with zram is that, if you have
> plenty of free ram, you can use it as a swap area for the data that, on
> average on your desktop pc, the kernel will usually swap out (in my case
> always < 100 MB). I guess that could have a positive impact on
> responsiveness of the least used processes.
>
> Now, the best solution would be to tweak the right kernel parameters to
> make it swap in a way i like more, rather than this hack. And the bad
> opinion expressed so far make me more pessimist.
>
> By the way, i'll give it a try.  ;-)

Let us know what is the outcome. I think it would be good if we would have
quantitative benchmarks....next time, when I have access to the low end system
myself, I could try to measure boot time + KDE login time + Iceweasel start
time + digikam start time + libreoffice start time + shutdown time or something
like that with and without zram.... It certainly does not measure
responsiveness, but I hope that avoiding hdd swap space gives a total
speedup....

Thanks,
Rainer

--