Re: Outstanding /dev/.udev bugs for /run migration

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 05:08:13PM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> > There are 19 packages still using /dev/.udev after udev transitioned
> > to /run/udev.  Unless there are any objections, I'd like to raise the
> > severity of these bugs from important to serious, given that the /run
> > migration is a release goal.
>
> If "given that the /run migration is a release goal" were the rationale,
> I'd object.
>
> Am I correct in understanding that these are potentially important or
> grave bugs because any code relying on /dev/.udev is simply broken
> with current udev?  /dev/.udev doesn't seem to exist.

All are currently broken.  Whether they cause severe breakage depends
upon the individual case.  Some are working apparently OK, e.g.
mdadm.  Others are doing broken things to try and create device nodes
already created by udev.  I can't speak for any known severe breakage--
I haven't tried using the others.  All need fixing though.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh