Re: [Long] UEFI support

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> Sounds like he was asking you to name these new 32-bit only x86
> systems that are still being produced and sold.

Aside from that, there is still the issue of 32bit binary-only software.

Recently I moved all the 32bit stuff I support to DomUs running on 64bit Xen
servers.  Of the current systems I run I expect to be supporting 32bit
programs for at least another year.

Buying a nice new 64bit system for the purpose of running ancient 32bit
programs at high speed is still a lot more common than we would hope.

Also note that it's not just proprietary software.  I'm running an old 32bit
MySQL installation that is extremely important to one of my clients.  It's
probably theoretically possible to just run the same database on a 64bit MySQL
installation and it's certainly possible to dump it and restore it.  But doing
that with a 24*7 mission critical database is easier said than done.