Re: zram Usage as Default in Debian (?)

On 08/01/2012 01:48, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently setup zram (for compressed swap space in RAM) on an older low RAM
> machine. I was quite happy with the result and started now to do the same
> setup also on my other machines. I am wondering if anybody is investigating,
> if debian should do that by default when installing a new machine or even
> better also when machines get upgraded.
> [...]

In my experience from using a zram + on-disk swap setup, performance is only
good until the zram swap gets filled up. Then performance goes to hell because
you'll be functioning primarily on your on-disk swap while your zram swap just
acts as deadweight sitting around taking up memory. What I usually did at that
point was to swapoff the zram swap to force everything into the on-disk swap,
rmmod, and re-create the zram swap again to get free zram swap space.

I don't think it's a good idea to make this default.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin