Re: Feedback

On 12/25/2012 10:55 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:

(2) The correspondence between release code names and official version
numbers can be found in the Debian FAQ, point 6.2, entitled "What are all
those names like etch, lenny, etc.?".  Here is a link to this item in the
on-line version of the Debian FAQ:

   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-ftparchives.en.html#s-codenames

As you can see, squeeze is the last code name which has an assigned version
number, which is 6.0.  That is due to the fact that squeeze is the current
stable release.  The current testing release, wheezy, and the one after that,
jessie, do not yet have official version numbers assigned.  They can only be
referred to by their code names at this point. And documentation for squeeze
that was written before squeeze became the stable release could only refer to
squeeze by its code name.  Are you saying that no documentation should ever
be written until a release becomes the stable release?  I think not.

I think it more likely that he's saying "It's obvious what number is going to be
assigned to the next released version, so you should use that version number
even before the release".

I'm not saying he's right - sarge was assigned version 3.1, for example, and
other non-'x.0' releases have been made in the past - but that seems more like
an argument that someone might actually make.

--
   The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger