Uscan enhancements revitalised (Was: let uscan exclude some upstream files)

Hi Nicolas,

its a long time since the last posting in this topic - perhaps because
everybody was doing bug squashing for Wheezy but recently I needed to
rethink the status of my proposed uscan enhancements[2].

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 10:32:12PM +0200, Nicolas Boulenguez wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 09:26:40AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> > Would you volunteer to create a Wiki page to enable better structure
> > and which might lead to some consensus about the implementation?
>
> Anyone interested, feel free to review [1] and continue the
> discussion there.

As I see on your Wiki page you have described your proposal from your
last posting on the mailing list[3] which is actually in contrast to
what is implemented in [2] and was described and discussed in the thread
starting here[4].  I should most probably add the current implementation
to the Wiki page and I will do so in the next couple of days.  But
before I'm starting to do so I would like to clarify why you used the
headline "Implementation" about the paragraph explaining what is not
implemented.  That's a bit confusing but may be I missunderstood
something.  Before I start mixing up things I'd like to hear your real
intention which I might have missed.

Now for the current implementation: The stumbling block I was currently
facing is that I want to strip some upstream source (of igv[5]) from a
jar file which resides inside the packaging root as well as in a
subdirectory.  It looks like

   IGVDistribution_2.1.30/goby-io-igv.jar       (a)
   IGVDistribution_2.1.30/lib/goby-io-igv.jar   (b)

The thing is that (a) should be removed and (b) needs to remain - but
this case is not possible with the current implementation.  If
Files-Excluded contains a string without '/' a "find -name" search is
approached and catches them all.  I remember this behaviour was
mentioned as a design flaw but the pro-argument is that you really
comfortably can use this when doing things like

   Files-Excluded: ._* *~ .DS_Store

If you would need to specify each and any dir containing such cruft
files this would become a really lousy way which is not better than
keeping the old get-orig-source way.

I / we need to think about this.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/UscanEnhancements
[2] git://git.debian.org/git/users/tille/devscripts.git
[3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/09/msg00202.html
[4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/08/msg00600.html
[5] git://git.debian.org/debian-med/igv.git

--
http://fam-tille.de