[OT] XML

[...]

 > Ever heard of grep, sed, awk, ....  all these nice things that make
 > your life happy.  Trash them when you are doing XML.

	JFTR: there's xmlstarlet(1), which is capable enough to replace
	awk(1), sed(1), and grep(1) (which is more often than not gets
	mixed with awk(1) and sed(1), even though its functions are
	effectively embedded within the former two) on most uses.  And
	then, every other high-level language has libraries for XML
	processing.  Of which Perl is close enough to Awk to hardly ever
	bother learning the latter at all.

	Seriously, XML takes a lot of concerns off an application
	programmer.  It provides quoting, arbitrary hierarchical
	structure, support for different encodings, etc.  Why, don't you
	think that $ grep '[[:lower:]]' FILE is ever supposed to work?
	For surely it isn't: grep has no way to know the encoding of the
	input file, and relies on the locale instead.  On the contrary,
	XML allows for the encoding to be specified explicitly via a
	processing instruction.  And then, there's XPath, which takes
	the input dataset structure into account.  (Care to provide an
	example of grepping out the VALUE for KEY of [SECTION]?)

	… Oh how I'm glad that there're prominent TeX figures that are
	actively using XML nowadays!

	I take the point, however, that the XML toolset is not nearly as
	mature and complete as that for “plain text.”  It /is/ an issue,
	and I hope it will be resolved.  It /is/ reasonable to use the
	two-level hierarchial [SECTION] KEY = VALUE format for
	configuration files, for it has better readability (as long as
	the common tools are considered.)  What is /not/ reasonable is
	to label and shun XML for what it's not.

--
judicious use of XML applications at the Internet at large.</p></the>