Re: Re: debian mate

> GNOME Classic is just as featureful and usable as GNOME Shell,
> which makes it very suitable for a default desktop on non-3D machines.

But GNOME Fallback is going to be dropped soon. And the next GNOME release, also if it will support a classic session with extensions, is not suitable in old or low level machines, for example.

> Are you kidding me? The Bonobo interface in gnome-panel 2.x is a
> horrible PITA. And this is not about reinventing the wheel, it’s basic
> porting work that anyone with basic C and autotools knowledge can do.

All MATE core (and this means mate-panel too) is already ported to GSettings and DBUS, and all deprecated stuff is removed too: libgnome, libgnomeui, libgnomecanvas, gnome-vfs, gconf, liborbit and bonobo.