Re: x32 port bootstrap is uploaded

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 04:37:20PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Daniel Schepler [2012-11-20 07:51 -0800]:
> > Once upon a time, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > > Can I also just add the above Debian repo, do --add-architecture,
> > > and start replacing some packages? How can I for example, replace
> > > perl, on a running server?
> >
> > That should work, as long as you make sure to exclude x32 from the
> > main Debian repo.  i.e. make /etc/apt/sources.list look something
> > like:
> >
> > deb [ arch=amd64,i386 ] http://http.debian.net/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> > deb [ arch=x32 ] http://87.98.215.228/debian/ sid main byhand partial
>
> Do tell us what breaks if you try this :-)

Having tested this with Raspbian, it's fun only if both repositories go in
lockstep: there might be a hiccup if one arch is updated in one dinstall run
and another arch in the next one, but there are no major problem.  Add
delays -- or worse, patches on one of the sides -- and it all gets stuck.

Unless Daniel runs a buildd that _swiftly_ updates packages once they hit
unstable, _and_ he carries a partial repo with amd64 builds of all patched
packages, expect lots of manual work.  Easiest way: have pbuilder ready, and
build amd64 binaries of any Raspbian or x32 modified packages the moment apt
complains.

Sorry but multiarch doesn't make using out of sync repositories nice.
Single-arch chroots are the easy way for now.

--
How to squander your resources: those silly Swedes have a sauce named
"hovmästarsås", the best thing ever to put on cheese, yet they waste it