Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Intel/AMD x86 CPU microcode update system in non-free

On 08/11/12 01:44, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 04:33:00PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Nov 2012, Adrian Fita wrote:
>>> Fair enough, but how about having the linux-image packages recommend the
>>> *microcode packages for installation so users won't get confused by the
>>> message caused by the module trying to load the file with the microcode
>>> update and not finding it?
>>
>> I don't think we can do that, because the -microcode packages are in
>> non-free.
>>
>> And an annoying technical detail makes it suboptimal to add the microcode
>> packages as a recommendation of the firmware-linux-nonfree package.
>
> ...which is that dpkg does not support architecture-specific relations
> in binary packages.

Sorry if I don't understand what you're talking about... I was thinking
about adding the *microcode to the recommends/suggests for the x86/amd64
kernel packages only (here's some of the packages that my system lists
for these architecures: linux-image-486, linux-image-686,
linux-image-686-pae, linux-image-amd64, linux-image-rt-686-pae). I don't
think this needs any kind of special architecture-specific support in
dpkg...

--
Adrian Fita