Re: [SUMMARY/PROPOSAL] Orphaning another maintainer's packages

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Jean-Michel Vourgère wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2012 19:09:55 Michael Gilbert wrote:
>> (...)
>> I would prefer to see even more autonomy for the salvager and less
>> bugging of various lists (ITPs on -devel are already distracting
>> enough).  With that, I would like to suggest rewriting steps 2-4 as:
>>     2.  Salvager uploads liberal (10-day delayed) nmus as needed to bring
>>          the package into a better maintained state.
>>     3.  After a period of 3 months of contributing as an nmuer or with
>>         maintainers approval prior to that, salvager is free to add
>>         himself/herself as a package uploader.
>> (...)
>
> I feel that would make it quite difficult for a non-DD to salvage a package.
>
> Remember finding a sponsor can be hard.

I will make myself available as a salvaging sponsor, and we can add a
tag like SV or something like that to sponsorship-requests to help
salvaging sponsors find packages.  That should significantly lower the
barrier.

> When fixing non important bugs, or improving the package quality, like
> switching to format 3 source, arranging the rules file, and so on, I fear
> it will be very difficult to find a sponsor for these nmus.

That is because those changes are not allowable in an nmu, and that
wouldn't change given any proposal so far anyway.  Those choices are
up to the maintainer and uploaders, not an nmuer.

> Having 3/1 (1/0?) *DD* approving the orphaning will be more easy in these
> cases. After it's done, one can work on more radical changes, that are more
> likely to get sponsored.

That also adds more bureaucracy, and I don't think Debian needs any
more of that.

Best wishes,
Mike