Re: [SUMMARY/PROPOSAL] Orphaning another maintainer's packages

On 2012-10-23, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is an attempt at summarizing & building a proposal out of the
> "Hijacking^W^W^W^W^W^WSalvaging packages for fun and profit: A proposal"
> thread that was started at [1].

Some years ago, people used a much simpler process. Why complicate
matters?

1) report a bug 'should this package be orphaned?' against the package
with a more or less defalut templated text and a serious severity
2) sleep 4*7*24*3600
3) if bug silent, orphan it (and maybe adopt it)

For a quite common thing to do, this is just drowning it in bureaucracy.

Taking over unmaintained packages should not be hard. We need people to
do it. We need people to do it more than they do today. We need to make
it easy.

/Sune