Re: Discarding uploaded binary packages

Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> writes:

>> This preserves the ability to upload a manual binNMU, which is not
>> common, but is useful and sometimes necessary.  (And not only for
>> bootstrapping an arch or a compiler.)

> ...and I forgot to add that something like this is required by the GR
> http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_002, or at least the spirit of it.
> (The _letter_ of the GR could be argued either way: am I technically
> "allowed to perform combined source and binary package uploads" if my
> binaries are automatically discarded?  But in my opinion the _spirit_
> of the GR is clear.)

IIRC, the phrasing of that GR was very intentionally done so that it would
not rule out discarding all binary uploads from DDs and requiring all
packages be built on buildds.  That's why it says that you're allowed to
do a binary NMU if you're allowed to upload binaries with source, not if
you're allowed to upload source packages in general.

I'm fairly sure this exact point came up during the GR discussion,
although it's been five years, so my memory isn't exact.