Re: Poll (was: Popularity of bzr-builddeb and dh-make)

On Oct 12, 2012, at 09:13 PM, Hideki Yamane wrote:

> bzr-builddeb is, well, it seems that is useful in UDD (Ubuntu Distributed
> Development, as Ubuntu packaging guide says) way, but now it heavily relies
> on Launchpad in my point of view. And, packaging-dev can specify
> vendor-specific Recommends/Suggest in its rules, then use it for Ubuntu is
> meaningful.
>
> (Well, LP is quite nice and Debian should consider to introduce its good
> point (user friendly web interface, etc), but I don't want to depend on it,
> sorry).

Now, clearly I am biased, but I generally use bzr-builddeb even when
developing changes targeted directly for Debian, because I really like the
workflow and much prefer bzr over the alternatives.  When the Launchpad
importer is up-to-date for a particular Debian package[*], everything works
nicely and quickly, and I've even managed to make quilt work mostly
non-painfully.

I accept that others have different, completely valid opinions on the matter.

-Barry

[*] which is actually more likely with Debian branches than Ubuntu branches
because Ubuntu developers will almost never push to debianlp: branches.