Re: ${HOME} vs. g_get_home_dir ()

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> [120926 21:42]:
> > The documentation for g_get_home_dir[1] also documents what a proper
> > program can do, it's a simple:
>
> >  const char *homedir = g_getenv ("HOME");
> >    if (!homedir)
> >       homedir = g_get_home_dir ();
>
> > instead of using get_get_home_dir directly.
>
> Oh, I'm glad that they at least document this.  But it would still be nice
> if the default did the right thing.

Though I guess changing the default upstream is hard, given the feedback
I got in tha past and the general tendency in gtk/gnome world to
consider anything not in their primary picture as obsolete and/or legacy
and thus not worth to support.
So users outside Debian would profit more to push patches to all
programs to properly prefer HOME instead of hoping to persuade upstream
of the library (and Debian would profit from having a smaller diff).

	Bernhard R. Link