Re: Processor microcode update packages (was: Towards d-i wheezy beta 3)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 13 sep 12, 11:29:39, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> > I think this should be mentioned somewhere *much* more prominent. I
> > consider myself pretty tech-savy, but only stumbled upon this just now
> > on the this list. Can a non-free package be made essential or
> > required? It seems there is really absolutely no-reason other than
> > non-freeness for not installing this by default.
>
> Could the various microcode packages be Suggested or even Recommended by
> firmware-linux-nonfree?

Probably not, because our support for arch-lists outside of
build-dependencies is just a hack (it is resolved at package build time, and
the dependencies are ommited based on the build arch).  The microcode
packages are arch-specific, and firmware-linux-nonfree is arch all.  Arch
all cannot have any arch-specific binary package dependencies.

This means a recommends or suggests for the two microcode packages, if added
to firmware-linux-nonfree, would be visible, and not satisfiable, on every
arch but i386 and amd64.

  Henrique Holschuh