Re: "X-" Prefixes deprecated by RFC 6648.

On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 14:55:04 +0000, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> Charles Plessy, 2012-09-13 01:55+0200:
> > I would like to share with you the recently published RFC 6648, which
> > deprecates the use of "X-" prefixes in "application protocols"
>
> Perhaps we should consider changing the way we write user-defined
> control fields (policy §5.7)?

Why?

> Instead of things like
>     XBCS-Comment: This field will appear in the changes, binary and
>         source control files

The X gets discarded on output, so the field names will not have an X-
in the changes, binary or source control files. It should really be
thought more as a marker for the BCS flags than as a private field
marker.

> we may want to write:
>     tanguy.debian.org-BCS-Comment: …
>
> or:
>     team.alioth.debian.org-BCS-Comment: …

There's already the Private- prefix which can be further namespaced,
is preserved on output, and avoids dpkg-deb giving warnings about
unknown fields (documented in deb-src-control(5)).

thanks,
guillem