Re: [proposal] use xz compression for Debian package by default

Le jeudi, 30 août 2012 14.46:33, Jon Dowland a écrit :
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 05:12:15PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > We are building a binary distribution which main characteristic is to
> > have the packages built _rarely_. As such, a useful but CPU-expensive
> > operation is always worth it.
>
> The situation is slightly different for Debian-native packages. In that
> case, there's little value in not replacing the source PNGs with
> better-compressed alternatives. (games-thumbnails is such a native
> package.)

ACK. But no "repackaging" is involved in that case.

> > And if the package building infrastructure comes in your way by enforcing
> > unneeded repeated builds, then the problem resides in the package
> > building infrastructure.
>
> Are we not required to provide a functional 'clean' target in our rules
> files? Should these not remove files that were generated as part of the
> build process?

Yes. This doesn't mean that when you are working on a packaging, you have to
run the clean target at every iteration. "I'm not doing $EXPENSIVE_OPERATION
in my packages because it comes in my way when I work on the packages" is a
bad excuse IMHO.

OdyX