Archive-wide rebuilds using scan-build (was: Re: Proposal: Making Debian compiler agnostic)

Hi,

> This summer, during the Google Summer of Code (GSoC), we have been
> working to provide a way to rebuild the archive with a non-gcc compiler
> (in our case: clang).
>
> Our project's intent is not to change the default compiler, just use a
> secondary compiler to generate more errors or warnings for package
> maintainers to be aware of. In most cases, keeping both compilers happy
> would result in higher quality code, something I think we can all get
> behind.

I think it would be great if we could build all packages with scan-build
automatically - as soon as there is some way to specify a different compiler,
this should not be too hard. It might even be enough to use gcc/g++ as compiler
in scan-build. I'm running some of my favourite packages trough it, which makes
upstream happy (well or not, if some new errors show up again :)). So making all
packages respect CC/CXX would be good to have not only to build them with
different compilers.

Cheers and thanks for your work,

Bernd