Re: RFC: usb-modeswitch 1.2.0 release embedding jimtcl

Hello,

(As a Tcler I have to comment on this.)

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:36:43 +0200
Didier Raboud <odyx@debian.org> wrote:

> 1) "Forget about jimtcl, rely on existing tcl interpreters"

>     This is mostly "repacking to avoid the embedded jimtcl copy", "no
>     packaging of it, go on as is done currently; by relying on
> existing tcl interpreters.
>     Pros: easy, straightforward,avoids the binary embedding of jimtcl.
>     Cons: does not solve the "desktop install needs tcl interpreter".

Jimsh is already available, and can be used separately. Also, libjim
allows linking dynamically. And also, jim and tcl are a bit different,
so it's not always jim-based script is able to run in plain tclsh
without additional shims.

> 2) "Allow interpretation using separate jimtcl"

>     This means packaging jimtcl and allow usb-modeswitch to depend on
> it (That, plus "repacking to avoid the embedded jimtcl copy")
>     Pros: relatively easy, avoids the binary embedding of jimtcl.
>     Cons: replaces the need of the desktop install on a "tcl
> interpreter" to "jimtcl". Although it's probably smaller.

Already packaged, see above.

> 3) "Embed jimtcl using the internal copy"

>     This means taking the upstream tarball as is.
>     Pros: small standalone -dispatcher binary.
>     Cons: code duplication, potential security issues with
> out-of-date jimtcl versions, …

I see no problems with this, if there's just one or two packages
linking against libjim statically.

> 4) "Embed jimtcl using a standalone package"

>     This means packaging jimtcl and do some build-time trickery to
> include the jimtcl static library (if possible, only the needed
> parts) into usb- -modeswitch-dispatcher.
>     Pros: small standalone -dispatcher binary, no code duplication.
>     Cons: binNMU needed at each jimtcl upgrade, static linkeage.

Same as above.

> 5) "Rewrite the usb-modeswitch-dispatcher in C"

>     This work has already been done by Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre for the
>     Ubuntu ackage.
>     For now, the upstream developer hasn't included this rewrite into
> the upstream package (for his own set of reasons). My current
> strategy is to avoid as much as possible to diverge from upstream,
> hence why it's not in Debian's usb-modeswitch for now.
>     Pros: No tcl interpreter needed.
>     Cons: as it's not an upstream effort, it can become out-of-sync
> in terms of functionality and bugfixes (and indeed currently is as of
>           1.2.0~beta).

Stupid and useless. Usb-modeswitch was originally written in C, and
later rewritten in Tcl partially, as it was very hard to maintain it.
What's wrong with having a minimalist tcl interpreter? It's no bigger
than bash, and actually much smaller, and it's faster and doesn't rely
on coreutils.

> What's your opinion ?

Just link it against libjim, statically or dynamically.

--
WBR, Andrew