Re: About the media types text/x-php and text/x-php-source

Le Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:28:33PM +0200, Ondřej Surý a écrit :

> Also I don't think you have a definitive say in what associations are
> needed in mime-support package. It's up to individual "users" of
> mime-support package (read individual packages) to define what they
> need for correct functionality. I think of mime-support like kind of
> "support" package.

Ondřej,

Please talk to the maintainers before uploading.  NMUs are for helping people.
You gave me less than three days to say that yours is not helpful.  I have been
working regularly on the issue since I became co-maintainer of mime-support
(after sorting out what needed to be done about PDF associations).  Please read
again the advices in the Developers Reference, they were written to avoid such
situations to happen.  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu

I have been coordinating the resolution of the bugs about the PHP media types
with the different players including you and the release team, and we reached a
consensus.  Then you suddenly changed your mind overnight, and went for another
solution without contacting all the parties.  In that context, I do not trust
the relevance of your changes and will revert them.

The purpose of mime-support is not to cirumvent other maintainers unwillingness
to integrate their work with the work of others.  If you want to add
application/x-php in /etc/mimes.types, please provide an explanation of why it
is not possible to use in Debian the same way as in other distributions which
do not require that media type association by default.  In particular, in
http://bugs.debian.org/670945#26, the suggestion is from an Apache maintainer
to do the file association with application/x-php through the PHP configuration
file, not to add it in /etc/mime.types.  Please explain why it is not suitable
for you, and please also provide some hints that there will not be side
effects, such as (but not limited to) annoying all Subversion users by suddenly
having their PHP code considered binary and unsuitable for diffs, etc.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan