[CTTE #681687] Resolution of evince mime entry dispute
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
The question of evince's failure to supply a mime type entry for pdfs
was referred to the Technical Committee, after the release team
decided that it was a release critical bug.
The TC has made the following decision:
1. The Technical Committee agrees with Neil McGovern's analysis of
the situation regarding evince's missing mime type entry.
2. If changes are desirable to our system for dealing with mime
type entries and desktop files, including changes to policy or
additional automation, these should be made via the usual
development and policy amendment processes.
3. We defer to the Release Team's decision that it is now too late
to deploy such automation in wheezy.
4. We do not disagree with the Release Team's assessment that
the failure of the evince package to provide a mime type
entry is a release critical bug.
5. We therefore decline to overrule the Release Team. The bug
remains RC against evince.
6. The release team should clarify which mime types the RC-bugginess
applies to. We recommend that the starting point should be those
mime types advertised by evince via the mime system in squeeze.
Please see http://bugs.debian.org/681687 for background and
discussion, including the messages from Neil McGovern which are
referred to in the TC decision.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----