Re: RFH: non-blocking desktop conforming viewer

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am searching for a method to call a desktop conforming viewer
> that is blocking, i.e., that does not immediately return.
>
> Background: texdoc is the main tool to search for the waste amount
> of TeX documentation shipped. It supports also zipped (various
> formats) docs, but needs a viewer that is non-blocking, otherwise
> the temporary uncompressed file will hang around forever.
>
> Some time ago I switched from using "see" on Debian as the default
> texdoc viewer to "xdg-open" to make sure that proper selection
> of viewers are used (proper for the current desktop environment).
>
> Unfortunately, xdg-open, at least under gnome, is non-blocking, i.e.,
> immediately returns (in fact it is the underlying gvfs-open that
> returns immediately), which makes it impossible to use texdoc
> for searching and viewing compressed docs.

That sounds like an easy-to-implement extension in xdg-open.

> I see several options here:
> * forget about compressed documentation
>   PDF since format 1.4 has internal compression, meaning that
>   the other compression does not win a lot at all
>   We could advise packagers to use dh_compress -X.pdf

I'm not sure, but wouldn't it be better to change dh_compress to do
the right thing and use the pdf format internal compression instead of
 running gzip?

>   not my favorite

Fixing xdg-open instead seems favorable to me.

> * use a fixed list of viewers configured and force every user
>   to change the viewer himself
>   not my favorite

That doesn't really solve the problem, but only irritates users.

--
regards,
    Reinhard