Re: Re: Re: [CTTE #614907] Resolution of node/nodejs conflict

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 07:49:50PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>
> Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 04:38:21PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> >>  Hi Stefano,
> >>
> >>  Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >>  >On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 08:07:15PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> >>  >>   Thank you, but I would appreciate if debian-devel-announce would
> >>  >>   stay dedicated to important announcements which may be useful for a
> >>  >>   wide range of developers.
> >>  >
> >>  >tech-ctte resolutions do fit that bill. The tech-ctte is the highest
> >>  >dispute resolution body we have in Debian, and I think their doings
> >>  >deserve this level of awareness in the project.
> >>
> >>  although publicity of some resolutions may indeed be useful for a
> >>  wide range of developers, I fail to see many who would be interested
> >>  in the resolution on node.
> >
> >You're complaining about the posting volume of a list that has 13 +
> >17 + 16 + 7 + 8 + 10 + 4 = 75 messages this year, or about 2.6 days
> >between posts.
>
> No, I simply explained it would have been better to send the message
> in question elsewhere, avoiding debian-devel-announce.

I stand by my claim.

 It may be
> that there are few messages in this situation, and that more
> messages were in the opposite situation and should have been sent to
> debian-devel-announce.
> >[...]
> >
> >In my opinion, _every_ technical committee decision should be posted
> >to debian-devel-announce. Any time that the TC needs to make a decision,
> >it's already an unusual circumstance, and usually something's gone wrong.
>
> Conflicts are intrinsic in projects divided into thousands of
> inter-dependent sub-projects with private decision-making
> processes... I would be more worried to see no conflicts in our
> system.

Yes, conflicts certainly are inevitable. When they escalate to the second
highest decision-making body in the project, which makes a decision,
that is clearly important enough that it warrants an announcement to
the entire membership of the Debian project.

Although the Technical Committee is not a judge, an analogy with the
legal system may make things clearer: the press does not announce every
decision made by every judge in a court of law, but it does do so for
every decision made by the supreme court, whether the case as such is of
general interest or not. This is important so that the general population
can keep an eye on those in power. It's also important so we know what's
going on and can learn. It does not matter if it generates a small amount
of extra items in the newspaper, since the total volume of supreme court
decisions is quite low.

Like Steve and Steve, I'm not going to debate this further with you.
I'm not going to killfile you, but I suggest you find ways in which you
can help Debian development in constructive ways, rather than this kind
of idiotic distraction. So far, I admit I don't see you as a helpful
part of the Debian development community, and I wish you would rectify
the situation: preferably by starting to do things, but otherwise by
leaving.

--
I wrote a book on personal productivity: http://gtdfh.branchable.com/