Re: Introducing http.debian.net, Debian's mirrors redirector

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> wrote:
> APT guys: perhaps someone of you have an idea as to what is happening?
> Running apt-get update twice in a row, using http.d.n, and stable, will
> result in the Packages file being downloaded both times. Even if unchangeed.

Which version should that be?

I can't reproduce it with:
# debootstrap --variant=minbase squeeze squeeze-minbase
http://http.debian.net/debian
# chroot squeeze-minbase/
# apt-get update
[Hit on Release.gpg, Release, Packages - no download ]
# rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/
# apt-get update
[Gets Release.gpg, Release, Packages - ~8MB fetched ]
# apt-get update
[Hit on Release.gpg, Release, Packages - no download ]

Did the same with a sid chroot, expect changing the sources to
squeeze of course and still no dice - sorry.

Are you sure the involved servers respond correctly?
[Demo page says for my test: 130.83.114.189 | 8365 | EU | DE]

(You can see some sub-optimality here if you try it with a pdiff
 enabled-sources as it should know after hitting Release that the
 rest of the files can't be changed [or if they are, this means we
 get a hashsum error anyway] and therefore shouldn't download the
 indexes for the pdiffs - but this is done also only a single time)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies