Re: Summary: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> > > You need to enable it in all layers (fstab, crypttab, lvm.conf), yes.
>
> This was what I read elsewhere too.
>
> > For now you shouldn't use discard option with SSDs, it's bad for
> > performance. Better is to run fstrim periodically.
>
> Could you care to give us pointer to the rational behind your assertion?

Better yet: just tell people to get their own answer, using bonie++.
This is likely to be filesystem-specific, kernel version specific,
storage-stack specific AND device-specific after all.

I've read that some SSDs really *dislike* the way Linux does TRIM
batching (or doesn't :p), so yes, it may well be that on most SSDs
regular fstrim will do much better.

  Henrique Holschuh