Re: Report from the Bug Squashing Party in Salzburg

On 19/06/12 23:26, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

For those who do not read Planet Debian, here is the report from the Debian
BSP in Salzburg (markdown/ikiwiki source, sorry for not re-formatting it :))

Participation and Results
- ---------------------------
- From June 15-17th we held a Debian BugSquashingParty in Salzburg, hosted and
sponsored by [conova communications GmbH](http://www.conova.com/). It was a
fun and busy weekend, with 15-17 people from 5 coutries being around, mainly
working on RC bugs in Testing/Unstable. Gerfried Fuchs (rhonda) also worked on
triaging the impact of RC bugs on the version in Squeeze, while Peter
Palfrader (weasel) took care of Tor related things and Debian sysadmin work,
including starting on the new bugs and udd hosts. Phillip Hug (hug) worked on
the  debian.ch infrastructure.
Together with Miroslav Suchý from Red Hat Bernd Zeimetz (bzed) worked on the
packaging of the necessary libraries and daemons to add (basic) Spacewalk
client support to Debian. As soon as the packages passed NEW and
[#677871](http://bugs.debian.org/677871) was applied (thanks to the APT guys
for working on that already), managing Debian clients with Spacewalk should
work out of the box.
Of course we also had a little keysigning party :)

Statistics
- -----------
- -  about 68 bugs in unstable/testing were triaged/patched/fixed or at least pinged
- -  54 bugs were tagged to show if they affect Squeeze, several other bugs were
pinged to retrieve necessary information or to trigger an update in the next
stable pointrelease.
- -  5 packages were introduced into Debian (still in NEW, though) - the
Spacewalk client related packages and libapache2-mod-auth-memcookie.

Accomodation
- -------------
Thanks to Debian funds we were able to provide accomodation for four
participants in the JUFA youth hostel in Salzburg.
We had paid in advance for eight, but changing to rooms with a higher category
for only 4 people would have been equally or more expensive.

Press/Media coverage
- ---------------_-----
Additionally to being mentioned in the calendars on ProLinux and similar
pages, we had some press coverage by the local newspaper and online magazines:

- -  [Scan of Salzburger Woche / Stadt
Nachrichten](http://www.conova.com/fileadmin/user_upload/dl.php?file=files/Presse_Debian_Bug_Squashing_Party_Stadt_Nachrichten.pdf)
- -  [article on the Salzburger Nachrichten
website](http://search.salzburg.com/news/artikel.html?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.salzburg.com%2Fnews%2Fresource%2Fsn%2Fnews%2Fst152700_15.06.2012_41-40204916)
- -
[meinbezirk.at](http://regionaut.meinbezirk.at/salzburg-stadt/leute/debian-bug-squashing-party-erstmals-in-salzburg-d194324.html/action/lesen/1/recommend/1/)
- -  [Salzburg Cityguide -
Photogallery](http://www.salzburg-cityguide.at/de/partyzone/detail/debian-bug-squashing-party---conova_102492)

Fun facts
- -------------
We consumed 2kg of Leberkas, a big plate of "Buchteln mit Vanillesosse", about
16000cm^2 of Pizza, about 80 litres of coke, juice, beer and whine and I guess
we drank at least the same amount of water. We had coffee made of 1.5kg coffee
beans and managed to empty the (formerly well filled) icemaker in the fridge.
Also we had successful training sessions of a standard Debconf game (rules
won't be explained here obviously). Maybe we even successfully spread the game
to the employees of a commercial linux distribution ;)

- -- Bernd Zeimetz Debian GNU/Linux Developer

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Has anyone thought about starting a hangout at Google+?

It would be a lot more convenient (especially for newbies)
than Internet Relay Chat (IRC), something I never took to.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore