Re: Migration path for 'Multi-Arch:allowed' packages

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 12:47 +0100, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Ben Hutchings [2012-06-13 12:24 +0100]:
> > >
> > > Chicken or the egg?
> > >
> > > You need to upgrade to support MultiArch,
> > > but you need MultiArch to upgrade…
> > > (beside, how would the detection for such a message look like?)
> > [...]
> > > Maybe all maintainers who want to use Multi-Arch now in wheezy
> > > (and therefore drop amd64 packages) should get together and write
> > > a "what to do after the distribution upgrade" for the release notes,
> > > a (low priority) debconf message and if you want to be really fancy
> > > a "transitional" package which shows the same text in case the
> > > "dropped" binaries are executed.
> > [...]
> >
> > I'd be interested in this for linux-image-amd64:i386.  Currently I
> > expect linux-image-3.2.0-<n>-amd64:i386 to remain in wheezy but we'll
> > still need to advise the user to enable amd64 ready for wheezy+1.  If we
> > can document multi-arch well enough in release notes etc. then it might
> > be possible to drop it now.
>
> I added a user-oriented HOWTO to the multiarch doc-collection last
> month as there seemed to be a shortage of such docs to point to that
> weren't cryptic specifications, or talking mostly about
> cross-building. It may be a useful place to point people, or just lift
> the good bits from it:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

That's quite good, but for release notes I think we would need something
that more tersely explains what multiarch means and that you *must*
enable it if you have certain packages installed on certain
architectures.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Computers are not intelligent.	They only think they are.