Re: Packaging entirely via git

Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> writes:

> Hi folks,
>

> is there already a way for maintaining debian packages entirely
> with git - without the orig tarball ?

Not what you mean -- although there is pristine-tar to enable one to
discard the actual tarball and recreate it from git later.

> As more and more projects are moving to git, this IMHO would make
> things easier for those projects.
>
> I'm currently (re)packaging wwwoffle, and optimially I'd just like
> to push a signed tag (to the debianized branch) and let the
> machinery run ;-)

You should probably read the thread starting here:

as you can see, you're not the first to think that.  It seems like a
pretty good idea, if the issues can be solved.

Cheers, Phil.