Re: Target path variables in debian/rules

Ole Wolf <ole@naturloven.dk> writes:

> I am building a package where I'm overriding the man page generation to
> include man pages that are generated at build time. A simplified version
> of the override in my debian/rules is:
>
> override_dh_installman:
>     dh_installman --
>     /somepath/create-a-man-page > ${mandir}/man1/packagename.1
>
> However, I don't know how to specify the target path for the man pages,
> which I've tentatively indicated by ${mandir} in the above snippet. I'm
> not using autoconf, which seems to set some path variables.
>
> What should I write instead of ${mandir} to get the proper path (so that
> the entire path on my particular system becomes
> debian/packagename/usr/share/man/man1/packagename.1)?

Why not reverse the two commands:

override_dh_installman:
    /somepath/create-a-man-page > debian/packagename.1
    dh_installman --

You then need to delete debian/packagename.1 in clean but you don't have
to muck around with the install part. Let dh_installman install the
generated manpage.

MfG
        Goswin