Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useful

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:46:49AM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
Also, nowadays normal filesystems are journaled; using a journal for
writes to /tmp damages the SSD for zero benefit.

Writing to /tmp will damage a SSD? Are you serious? And writing to /var or /home will not?

If SSDs are so easy damageable, that you should never use them for e.g. development because it creates to much write cycles, then they have a serious problem. (Thinking about the firmware bugs with data loss I will stay away from them anyway.)

I think no one is saying that tmpfs is always bad and never should be used. But for a default installation /tmp belongs to a disk which will be far bigger than the memory. If a user thinks tmpfs will get him an advantage in his setup, then he can switch.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |