Re: Packaging on GitHub ?

* Thomas Goirand [Sun May 27, 2012 at 11:52:27PM +0800]:
> On 05/27/2012 02:42 PM, olivier sallou wrote:

> > Keeping an updated mirror is not a good method for me, it is a painful
> > task and you are never sure of the status....

> Isn't it possible to keep this repo up-to-date using
> some of the git hooks? Like, when you push to your
> repo on Alioth, it would automatically push on github.
> I didn't try, but I don't think it would be hard to
> do that.

Yes, it's possible. In the Grml team we're hosting our repositories
on our own git server (http://git.grml.org/) and have a copy of it
available at Github within our "Grml Organization" account
(https://github.com/grml).

That's the code which does the mirror job inside our shared-hooks:

,---- [ github mirror ]
| copy_to_github()
| {
|   echo -n "Making backup to github: "
|   if git push --mirror git@github.com:grml/${projectname} >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
|     echo "done"
|   else
|     echo "Warning: Could not copy repo to github"
|   fi
| }
`----

You get the benefit of having a maximum of flexibility/customization
thanks to the selfhosted repositories with access to e.g. Github's
pull-request workflow at the same time.

regards,
-mika-
--