Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Oh stop, there is a difference: in a tmpfs the system doesn’t need to
> commit the data on disk, and therefore can write it to disk whenever it
> likes, especially when the disk is not too used. There is no need to
> keep a journal nor to access the disk several times to update metadata.
> Only unused data is written to disk. Which means a *huge* performance
> improvement. Do the measurements yourself, it works with basically
> anything that makes heavy use of /tmp.

I'm looking foward to a report from systems instrumented to track all
accesses to /tmp, that analizes the frequency of accesses and gives
numbers about just how huge this performance improvement is.

Until we have such a report, why are we engaging in premature optimisation?

--
see shy jo