Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

> > Switch to the deadline IO scheduler
> > [...] and make proper use of cgroups.
> > [...] And disable memory overcommit

[Serge]
> instead of fixing a single default option you suggest every debian
> user to tweak and/or rebuild the kernel? Are you serious? ;)

What?!?  "and/or rebuild the kernel" is FUD.
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory has been tweakable at runtime for
almost as long as I can remember (at least Linux 2.4, possibly earlier).

The tweak is:

    # echo vm.overcommit_memory=2 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
    # sysctl -p