Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:44:15AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> No. An application might not know it’s writing to tmpfs (for
> example, if it wasn’t even written for an operating system
> with tmpfs in the first place). And it might want to use sync
> writes. The user of such application might want to tell it to
> write into a mounted tmpfs, for speed, if they don’t care about
> data loss – and since sync is nop on tmpfs, this is A Good Thing.

Sorry, you (and hmh) are right.  I think my point was, you tend to do syncs if
you care about the data being written, but /tmp is a volatile filesystem
whether it's a ramdisk or not: many long-running timeshares will reap files
from /tmp at times other than boot up.

(Please don't CC me, I'm on the list.)