Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Fri, 25 May 2012, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 09:46:37AM +0200, Vincent Danjean wrote:
> > If some kind of sync is required by the application, I think this is
> > because the application want to ensure the data are really written to
> > the disk so that their state remains coherent even in case of crash.
> >   If the application is ok to have this kind of data written to
> > tmpfs (ie in memory), I do not see the interest of using sync at
> > first. Can someone shows me a valid use case of sync on tmpfs?
>
> I'd agree with your analysis, it's buggy for them to aggressively sync for writes
> to /tmp.

Hmm, no.  If the application Does It Right (emacs, vim...) they will
break hardlinks on open, and fsync properly on close/write by default.

That doesn't make them buggy, just because someone decided to tell them
to act on a file hosted in a tmpfs.

  Henrique Holschuh