Re: amd64 as default architecture

On 22/05/12 19:24, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 07:27:21PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
>>> We have still some software that doesn't work with 64-bit kernel,
>>> and (worse!) some maintainers claiming it's not a bug.
> The most prominent example is probably virtualbox (#456391)

That bug seems to be that the userland and kernel parts of virtualbox
must have the same "width" to work correctly.

In a multiarch world, that at least has a workaround: if your kernel is
amd64 but your default architecture is i386, replace virtualbox/i386
with virtualbox/amd64 and it should be happy again.

> and anything that uses libx86 won't work either (#492470).

Is this the right bug? According to the reporter's reportbug System
Information, he's running libx86/i386 on one of the i386 kernel
flavours, and I don't see any indication that amd64 is involved at all.