Re: The archive now supports xz compression

Roger Leigh dixit:

>Possibly a stupid question here but: Given that we are now autosigning
>builds, why can't the slower arches use gzip, and then after upload
>they could be recompressed with xz (and resigned) on a faster arch?

xz -2 is fast enough on m68k (IIRC, compresses not worse than bzip2 and
is not slower than gzip). I think you could justify even something like
xz --lzma=preset=3,dict=8M for speed freaks. However, see my mail in
<Pine.BSM.4.64L.1112192227580.856@herc.mirbsd.org> for a justification
for using xz -2 for most packages and xz -2e for packages with really
large data (that is not already precompressed, such as gzip’d manpages)
on not-fast architectures (with an allowance for -6[e] for debug, but
those wouldn’t be on the CDs anyway).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Solange man keine schmutzigen Tricks macht, und ich meine *wirklich*
schmutzige Tricks, wie bei einer doppelt verketteten Liste beide