Re: amd64 as default architecture

On May 20, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> > > No, keep i386 userland only.  Though we might consider reducing even
> > > that to a 'partial architecture' that has only libraries (similar to
> > > ia32-libs today, only cleaner).
> > Don't you believe in x32?
> What do you mean, 'believe'?  I'm aware it may allow some applications
> to be somewhat more efficient than either i386 or amd64.  I doubt it's
> worth adding to the Debian archive, but if we did then I imagine it
> would also be as a partial architecture.
I cannot see any use case, except supporting proprietary software,
where a i386 userland-only port would be more useful of a x32 port
(which would be userland-only by definition).
I think that we should be seriouly investigating the merits of a x32
port once we are done with multiarch.

--
ciao,
Marco