Re: amd64 as default architecture

Hi Ben,

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 03:16:15AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Most new PCs have an Intel or AMD 64-bit processor, and
> popcon.debian.org shows amd64 numbers almost matching i386.

> So in wheezy I would like to see:
> 1. Default architecture (top of the list for installation media/manual)
> being amd64 ('64-bit PC').
> 2. Users of the amd64 kernel flavour on i386 encouraged to add amd64 as
> a secondary architecture (debconf note?).

My biggest concern with this is the same that prevented Ubuntu from
switching to amd64 as a default for 12.04 - namely, that even though almost
all new hardware coming out would benefit from a 64-bit OS, there's a
sizeable fraction of users for whom a 64-bit CD would be nothing more than a
coaster.

  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-April/035088.html

Now perhaps it's easier for Debian to switch this default than it is for
Ubuntu, since Debian's choice of default arch doesn't have quite the same
"all or nothing" impact on pressed CDs and the like.  But IMHO it's better
for our users to choose a default that's safe, at the cost of some users not
getting the most out of their hardware if they use the default.