Re: on the use of chmod/chown in maintainer scripts

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 01:06:54PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

||  Guillem Jover writes ("Re: on the use of chmod/chown in maintainer scripts"):
||  > On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 22:47:22 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
||  > > I can't see an equivalent in GNU tar.  But BSD tar is available
||  > > in Debian.
||  >
||  > This would imply BSD tar needs to be promoted to the Essential set
||  > alongside GNU tar, at which point I might as well just use an
||  > internal tar implementation.
||  ???  Are we talking about unpack ?  Because dpkg's unpack code already
||  has an internal tar implementation.  This is necessary to get all the
||  file write / rename / conffile / etc. functionality to work properly.

No, this is about packing. Doing packing with dpkg-deb invoking bsdtar
would either make bsdtar essential, or require that dpkg-deb switch to
use whatever tar is available.

Privately, I've succeeded in bypassing dpkg-deb entirely for packing,
using bsdtar for creating tar-archives as well as ar-archives (for
the .deb format). And no more need for a staging directory or for root
privileges to ensure proper ownership for files in the tar-archive.

Ciao.                                                         Vincent.
--
Vincent Zweije <vincent@zweije.nl>   | "If you're flamed in a group you
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"