Re: on the use of chmod/chown in maintainer scripts

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> Unless we expect that two different binary packages that can be
> co-installed will distribute the same directory under different
> ownership or permissions for a good reason, why not simply let dpkg
> apply ownership and permissions found in data.tar.{gz|bz2|xz},

Usually because the UID is dynamically assigned and the user is created in
the postinst, so there's no way for dpkg do do this at unpack.

You would need to apply permissions by name, not UID/GID, and you would
need to create all users in preinst prior to unpack, which would require
Pre-Depends on adduser with all the complexity that entails.  I haven't
thought through that path to see if there are any other problems.