Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:52:25AM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
Neither the FHS, nor the policy says anything about etc-overrides-lib as
far as I can see. Neither pro or con. Do feel free to point me to the
relevant section, would I be mistaken.

To be honest, I still don’t really understand what the files in lib are:

- Are they configuration examples with all possible settings and their default values and the application works fine without these files? Then they should be in /usr/share/doc/<package>. - Or doesn’t the application start without these files? Then they are undoubtedly configuration files and according to FHS and Debian policy configuration files belong in /etc

The stuff in /lib are package defaults. Where the default is, in the
program, embedded, or in some file, doesn't really matter, it's an
implementation detail.

It does matter. In the end it is the same situation as the firmware problem. For the hardware it doesn’t matter if the firmware is placed in an EEPROM on the hardware or loaded from the FS by the driver. But for Debian and its policy it is a difference. So if you don’t want a default configuration from a file, because you don’t want to put a file in /etc, then you must compile the program with your default settings.

worse - in some ways, even better - than some other existing practice
(the conf.d/ stuff I mentioned a few times elsewhere in this thread
already).

I like conf.d. It makes things easier for e.g. rsyslog or sysctl.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |