Re: pbuilder + ccache suddenly fails

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 01:21:57PM -0400, Andres Mejia wrote:
> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Steve M. Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> wrote:
> > I've routinely used pbuilder to build packages for years.
> > Yesterday, I have started to see the following failure:
> >
> > ccache: FATAL: Failed to create /var/cache/pbuilder/ccache/0/f: Permission denied

> You should instead not enable ccache inside builds using pbuilder or
> sbuild since the directories where these builds occur end up being
> deleted, thus deleting the output generated from ccache.

I haven't been explicitly using ccache inside pbuilder.  In fact, I
just put a build-conflict against ccache to avoid using it (#671173).
Two years ago, pbuilder itself added support for ccache:

pbuilder (0.197) unstable; urgency=low

   * Add builtin support for using ccache in pbuilder and enable it by default.
     Ship a new /var/cache/pbuilder/ccache dir and bind-mount and chown it to
     BUILDUSERID at build time.  Install/remove ccache automatically on
     create/update if CCACHEDIR is set/unset.  Update docs and remove old
     ccache config example.  Add a NEWS entry featuring the change.  Stop
     intalling ccache sample config

 -- Junichi Uekawa <dancer@debian.org>  Wed, 23 Jun 2010 07:21:11 +0900

I haven't done anything different recently so I'm quite mystified by
my recent trouble.  To work around this, I simply gave the world write
permissions on /var/cache/pbuilder/ccache.

Thanks,
-Steve