Re: Making -devel discussions more viable

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> [120502 18:06]:
> I don't want technical decisions in this project to
> only be discussed by people who enjoy the noise.

That's why it is cruical to get the noise reduced. If in any discussion
there is a DD escalating the flames then there won't be any people with
technical arguments left. Getting some non-contributers out of the
picture will not change it much. I wholeheartly believe that the only
reason you see those people so prominently is that everything else
already is in ignore mode because of contributors heating the flames.

> So, while "don't add to the noise" is *part* of the solution, if one just
> says that and puts a period at the end, it makes the problem worse.  It
> needs to be part of a solution that actually *reduces the noise*.

Not adding to the noise is reducing the noise. And especially telling
people that you do not care about their arguments because you they are
not insiders, which this is from some point of view, is the noise that
makes an discussion in my eyes the most unwelcoming and thus a good
reason to only expect noise and no more signal.

        Bernhard R. Link