Re: switching from exim to postfix

On Wed, 2 May 2012, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 07:05:14PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Having mail be silently corrupted is not acceptable.
>
> Can you expand on "silently corrupted", here? Is that when you re-encode
> the mail and send it on as 7-bit, or when you leave it alone and send it
> as 8 bit to a host that doesn't advertise accepting 8-bit?

When you send 8 bit mail to a host that only supports 7 bit then it will be
corrupted, usually without any notification of what happened - definitely
silent corruption.

When you re-encode mail and send it on IFF the message is DKIM signed it could
be considered to be silent corruption as the change will usually count as
breakage.

It would be possible for a DKIM verification program to re-encode 7bit
messages to 8bit for a second attempt at verification.  But if a DKIM milter
author was going to do tricky things then a better first option would be to
try removing anything between [] in the subject line which is the most common
cause of DKIM failures that I see on valid mail.